Thursday, May 5, 2016

SFRB Recommends #57: Beyond Galaxy's Edge by Anna Hackett #sfrom

Ambitious Patrol Captain Nissa Sander has spent three years at the galaxy’s edge keeping the law and order, and chasing scoundrel smuggler, Justyn Phoenix. But the charming rogue has always outwitted her and she’s had a hard time ignoring his hard body and handsome face. But when one of the galaxy’s most important documents—the US Constitution—is stolen, Nissa finds herself working with the very man she’s been trying to throw in her brig.

Justyn Phoenix embraces life and offers everyone a wink and a smile. He’s also in love with a spit-and-polish Patrol captain. Yep, crazy in love, and he knows she’ll never love him back. But when the opportunity arises to work alongside Nissa on a wild and crazy mission to recover the US Constitution, he can’t resist.

But nothing on this treasure hunt is as it seems. The trail leads them to fake documents, rival treasure hunters, and a millennia old mystery. As the hunt takes them beyond the galaxy’s edge, Justyn and Nissa will face the firestorm of their desire, and soon learn if they can survive long enough to save the galaxy.


Beyond Galaxy's Edge features some of the more lovable protagonists I've read in a while. Smuggler-with-a-heart-of-gold may have been done before, but Justyn Phoenix doesn't seem too good to be true. Any lady would be lucky to have his attention, and he has good taste, too! Nissa, meanwhile, shows us that bald women with reptilian heritage can be objects of desire. For those wondering, she doesn't have any different organs that I know of. I also enjoyed the bestiary in this book: some killer plants kept my heart rate up and brows close to my hairline in one sequence.

Nissa also has to deal with an issue close to my heart: parental pressure to excel balanced with respect and love. I, too, have a brother who I've felt I had to "make up for" with career and achievements (although on a smaller scale than Nissa). I've wanted to make my parents proud, achieve whatever they could not, and make our futures secure. They reinforce that, even though what they want most is for me to be satisfied with my life. There will always be that thread of tension in our lives, and I believe that familial relationships are key to a story that moves me.

Author site: Anna Hackett | Action Romance | Science Fiction Romance

Recommendation by Lee Koven.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like an amazing story! And *sigh* my Leaning Tower of TBR grows taller...and leanier.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Comments must pass moderation to be published. Spam will be deleted.

SFR Brigade Bases of Operation