Monday, July 28, 2014

Meet the #Author Monday - Deborah A. Bailey


Please tell us a bit about yourself:

I worked in corporate for several years as a copywriter then as an IT developer. So writing gives me a chance to merge my writing with my love of technology. These days I freelance as a tech writer, editor and trainer. 


Tell us about Hathor Legacy: Burn:

It's book two of my Hathor Legacy series based on the planet Hathor in the 23rd century. Nadira is one of the Guardians, a group who are descendents of settlers from Earth. The Guardians have PSI abilities and serve as a security force for the planet and are in service to Novacorp, the company that runs the planet.

Her relationship with Jonathan Keel started in book one, and is developing in this book. In this book, Nadira is called to investigate a series of fires that are burning down Service Houses. These houses are the equivalent of company-run brothels. During the investigation, secrets about the Guardians and the company are revealed, and those revelations put Nadira's and Jonathan's lives in danger.

What inspired you to write this particular story?:

I wanted to expand on the history of the Guardians and also fill readers in on how the planet was settled. Also, I wanted to show that though the Guardians see themselves as being above reproach, that's not really the case. In their own way, they're not much different than the people who run the corporation.

Please share a favourite snippet from your book:

Nadira tried to sit up, but her arms ached so much they couldn't support her. Instead they wobbled and she was forced to drop back down against the pillows.

"Relax. You're not going anywhere." Jonathan propped himself up on his elbow and pulled the covers back over her.

She looked up into his grey eyes. What she saw there wasn't what she was expecting. But it wasn't just concern for her that had etched the dark circles under them, there was something else.

"You look tired," she said, as she ran the tip of her finger along his face, following the line of his squared jaw. Stubble pricked and tickled her skin, encouraging her to continue her exploration. After reading Varyn and being attacked in the warehouse, she'd shut down her awareness, just so she could block out her emotions. If she allowed herself to feel something now, she'd have to feel it all, and she wasn't sure she was ready for that.

Jon captured her hand and pressed it to his lips. "I didn't know how to find you. A security officer told me about the warehouse fire. When I got there, they told me to check the medi-evac. I heard you calling me."

Had she? She couldn't remember now. In fact a lot of the attack was hazy, without clear definition, like waking up and trying to remember a dream. "I couldn't save them. I tried and I couldn't." Tears welled up in her eyes, blurring her vision and making her feel ashamed.

Emotions were to be controlled at all times. That's how Zina had trained her, and that's what she had always fallen back on. But now, it wasn't working.

"Let it go," Jonathan said. "It's all right."

"No." She shifted and turned her back to him. "Stop. Just go. Come back in the morning." She wasn't ready yet. If she let it out now, she'd never be able to stop.

Which comes first for you – a character's looks, personality or name?:

Personality comes to me first. Usually hear conversations between characters before I start writing. Then the looks come in and I start to see them. It's great when I have a name first, but when I don't I have to try out a few of them before I get one that feels right.

Any tips for aspiring authors?:

Keep writing and don't talk yourself out of finishing your work. Procrastination is a trap that's so easy to fall into. If you believe in it, do it. Get it done and start on the next piece. Years ago when I went into corporate, I stopped writing for years so that I could focus on my IT career. I talked myself out of writing because I thought it was "just" a hobby. It took a while to realize that it was part of my life and I had to write, no matter what.

Questions for fun:
If you had the power of time travel, is there anything you would go back and change?

Wow, that's a tough question. But I think the first thing I'd do would be to not let my cousin borrow my car.

Why/why not?:

It was my first car that I bought off a car mechanic for $300. It looked like a Mini Cooper and was fun to drive around. I lent it to her and she ran it into a pothole in NYC. That was the end of that. But since time travel has consequences, who knows? I might've ended up driving it into the pothole myself in an alternate timeline.

What super-power would you choose?:

Hmmm. I'd love to be able to fly. I think that would be fun.

If you could have three wishes, what would they be?:

1. For a nice quiet house by the seashore
2. The end of wars and disagreements across the globe
3. To always be surrounded by good friends and loving family

Coffee, tea or wine?:

I'd take coffee in the morning then wine after 5:00 pm.

What is your favourite book? (aside from one of your own!):

I have a few favorites! One that comes to mind is Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's such a powerful story that deals with the implications of cloning. It's also a very bittersweet love story, and I'm a big fan of those.

Favourite genre and why?:

SF of course! I love it because it's about possibilities. You can discuss world events, speculate on the future, tell a love story, detail the collapse of civilization. It's an exciting genre. But for me personally, I love that I can write worlds and characters beyond stereotypes. They can just be people or some other life form--without judgment and without having to attach some big message. It's refreshing to just be able to be who you are without baggage.
  
Favourite colour?:

Right now it's red. Dark red preferably. My favorite color changes with my mood.

Upcoming news and plans for the future?:

Right now I'm promoting my new release, Hathor Legacy: Burn, so that's taking up the most space in my brain. But I'm working on a couple of novellas, and have plans to do a third Hathor Legacy book sometime next year. I'm just going to keep writing and having fun with it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us!

Twitter: @AuthorDeborahB

Announcement! Hathor Legacy: Burn will be free on Amazon from 7/27 - 7/31!


Blurb

Book Two of the Hathor Legacy Series

On the planet, Hathor, an old threat re-emerges that may destroy the fragile alliance between the Guardians and Novacorp.  When Nadira is called to investigate a rash of fires throughout the city, she discovers the Deshtu, another group with PSI powers who have been purposely kept in the shadows.

Working to uncover the source of the fires, Nadira learns the brutal truth about the origin of the Guardians. The Guardian Elders have plans to make Nadira more powerful, and she may be forced to sever her psychic connection to Jonathan Keel.

When an unexpected ally gives Jonathan information about the Deshtu that connects them to the fires, he becomes a convenient scapegoat for the opposing factions. Nadira puts her life on the line to solve the crime, while the Elders make their move to remove Jonathan from her life forever.


As time runs out, the Guardians prepare for a clash with Novacorp that could plunge the planet into chaos, and a final betrayal forces Nadira to risk everything to save herself and Hathor.

1 comment:

  1. Great introduction, Deborah.

    I especially like this: "SF of course! I love it because it's about possibilities." We have so much freedom in writing the SFR genre. One of the reasons I love writing and reading it.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Comments must pass moderation to be published. Spam will be deleted.

SFR Brigade Bases of Operation